Thursday, December 12, 2013

Quick Mexican-Style Dinner

Jules here-

I had planned to make some delicious fajitas for dinner last night; however, after I started defrosting the chicken I realized we were out of tortillas :( Bummer.  Instead of giving up on my dinner idea (mostly because I had JUST cooked breakfast for dinner the night before), I decided to persevere and ransack my pantry.  One ingredient that intrigued  me (that I rarely have) is fresh (albeit over a week old) cilantro.  Now, I know some people despise cilantro, but I think it makes a Mexican dish fantastic!  I have always loved corn & bean salsa, though I have never made it, so I chose to make a dish loosely-based on that concept.  I call my dish:



Chicken & Corn Salsa (creative....)

Ingredients
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (I use the kitchen-aid paddle to do that... it's awesome)
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes- undrained
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can black beans
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 diced green pepper
- Olive Oil
-  2 TSPS of cumin (o.k. I just dumped some spices in, so you can season to your taste too...)
- Tsp of garlic salt
- 1 TSP chili powder
Fresh Cilantro
Cheddar Cheese
Salsa
Rice

Directions
Sauté garlic, onions, and peppers until soft.  Then, add all the canned goods and seasonings.  Simmer until all are heated threw.  Add shredded chicken and stir until integrated. Toss cilantro the last minute just until mixed, and turn off heat.  Serve over rice with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. Salsa optional (Hubby likes more zip than I)

Anyway, it was super fast, super easy and you could totally use leftover chicken. I like having dinners with can goods because I can store many to have on hand at any time. Cilantro is optional too, but yummy!


Easy Rule #5301- Don't give up on a dinner idea if you are missing a key ingredient- re-think it and try again!


No comments:

Post a Comment