Hi everyone! All is well in our household, just busy, busy. Soccer season has just ended--we had 3 kids in rec soccer and 3 in travel soccer. Our life was pretty much lived at the fields. The littles got used to packing up our survival "snack bag" for the hours spent on the sidelines...as long as we had a steady flow of food, they entertained themselves quite well jumping off bleachers, pulling up weeds to make me lovely bouquets, or tackling each other in the grass.
We are knee-deep in school. The rest of our time is spent making sure Gemma (20 months now) doesn't fall off the top bunk, suck toothpaste tubes, or smear Vicks Vapor Rub all over her face and hands. Not that those things have happened.
Anyway, because I obviously have a lot of free time, I decided to embark on a new endeavor. I've always fiddled with the notion of contributing in a small way to our family's finances, just to give us a bit of a cushion and some "fun" money. Since my primary vocation is with the children and home, it would have to be something that would enable me to balance it all, ideally even including the kids at some level. This post is about my decision!
The thought of entering the world of direct sales was intimidating, especially to an introvert like myself. There is no denying, however, the appeal of earning extra money for the family as a homeschool stay-at-home mom! After researching many companies (and with inspiration from my mom), I made the leap and decided on AVON.
1. Longevity: Avon has been around for 130 years. That’s right, 130. Beginning in 1886 with door-to-door salesman and amateur perfume maker, David McConnell, Avon has weathered many an economic storm in its history—including the Great Depression. A company won’t survive unless it produces a quality product that people want; Avon has obviously succeeded in those areas to become a beloved and respected industry name.
2. Affordability: This was a huge selling point for me. Living in an area of the country that is struggling with prosperity, I simply could not see asking folks to spend large quantities of money on exorbitantly priced makeup or kitchen items or candles…I would feel guilty and like a scam-artist, frankly. With Avon, most items are comparably-priced to those found at your neighborhood drugstore. To get Avon’s quality at drugstore prices?! I can work with that, and feel confident that my customers are in a win-win situation.
3. Quality: Avon has high-quality products that I am proud to offer. For example, the Anew Ultimate Supreme Advanced Performance Crème is garnering high praise, outdistancing a similar Lancome product (priced over $300); Avon’s product is only $34.99. Everyone can afford to feel beautiful! The Avon Skincare Institute is “at the forefront of skin care innovation with state-of-the-art research and development labs spanning five continents, hundreds of scientists, nearly 600 patents, and partnerships with top universities and dermatologists.”
4. Variety: With Avon, there is literally something for everyone. Makeup, skin care, bath products, fragrances, jewelry, and fashion—as you browse the website or the beautiful brochures that are released every two weeks, you will see an array of new and exciting offerings. And of course, the Avon classics like Skin So Soft are always available!
5. Potential: Just like any other endeavor with potential success, you get back what you put in. I am willing to put myself out there and step outside my comfort zone in the hopes of building a profitable business with loyal and satisfied customers. Does this sound appealing to you too? Avon is always looking for new representatives, and with minimal start-up costs (as low as $25) and no inventory needed, it’s a simple way to potentially change your life for the better. Contact me for more information and I’d be happy to help.
6. Responsibility: Last but not least, Avon calls itself “the company for women” and says it is “beauty with a purpose.” With philanthropic efforts in the crusades against breast cancer and domestic violence, as well as environmental sustainability, Avon is a company that you can feel confident in supporting.
Since Avon's "storefront" is it's catalogs, I don't have to throw parties or find hosts--an exhausting prospect for me! Instead, I have to show people the offerings by getting a catalog in their hands, and then start a conversation. The children help me hang the catalogs on neighborhood front doors, so the whole family can be part of it:) I even have an eStore so that my friends and family far away (sniff) can shop too!
Anyway, I hope you got a good idea of why I chose direct sales, and more specifically, Avon. If you are considering doing the same, I would encourage you to do your research and get ready to jump in with both feet!
I will be blogging more, just fyi. I feel like I am emerging from the craziness of baby-survival, and I'm still not pregnant lol. During this (probably short) period of time, I'm trying to get a lot accomplished....perhaps I will even exercise? With a fitbit? Hmmmmm....let me just put down this brownie....
Easy Rule #590: Don't be afraid to try something new, just be prepared to give it 100% effort.
Easy Rule #39: Pack lots of snacks wherever you go.