Thursday, April 10, 2014

Zombie Apocalypse Dreams

Jules here-

Ever since I saw 28 Days Later, I have been a bit obsessed with the zombie apocalyptic genre of entertainment.  Granted, they terrify me, but I am so drawn to the concept that my subconscious often creates apocalyptic dreams for me....  With the success of The Walking Dead and Warm Bodies, I'm obviously in the majority with my undead entertainment tastes.  Why the fascination with the end of days? Why do I have the morbid curiosity to watch such a macabre subject?

 I think my passion originated when I read Stephen King's The Stand back in high school; I stayed up late watching the mini-series version for weeks (If you haven't seen it... I have it on VHS... it's still awesome). The basic message of the movie is good versus evil and even if you don't believe in God, "He believes in you."  Very powerful, very inspiring. After analyzing my own secret passion for the apocalypse, I have determined a few factors on why I find it so appealing:

  • Simplicity- My life seems complicated.  From activities to schooling, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming.  If all the extraneous activities were forced to end and only the "kill or be killed" mentality survived-- it would simplify things!  As reliant as I am on technology (and yes, the Technology-Free Fridays are making me realize HOW reliant I am), I would rather have someone take it all from me so I have no choice. No more word games, Internet, pinterest....ahhhh! But there would be books, family, games, etc.  Forcing me back to quieter, simpler things.
Big Boggle is in my Zombie Survival Kit
  •  Pioneer life- I was a strange child (surprising, I know) who was obsessed with The Little House on the Prairie series.  My 3rd grade best friend and I played "prairie girls" every recess.  I think deep down I am meant to make bread all day and mend clothing (though I can't sew... I can picture me doing it).
  • Working for yourself- Money is so abstract nowadays. Direct deposit, automatic bill-pay, and credit cards make your paycheck seem nonexistent.  Unlike working the land as a farmer does or hunting for food, everything seems so distant. The ancient barter system appeals to me so I can see what I am working for.


  • Good and evil are pretty obvious. Now most zombie movies nowadays use an anti-hero mentality, but in my vision of the apocalypse, the undead are bad, and the living are good.  It's so much simpler than trying to figure out who's two-faced or unkind, etc.
  • Disconnecting. I know Facebook, the Internet, TV, and email links us to friends you never even knew you wanted and you get to hear about news from all over the word.... but maintaining these frivolous relationships and learning about the tragedies in other countries can get exhausting.  Living for you, your family, and God instead of hearing about news, friends' drama, and celebrity life could be quite relaxing.

  •  Getting to use unused skills. My husband is an avid fishermen (catch and release) and he often says as he goes fishing, "Remember, during the zombie apocalypse I will help the family survive by fishing. So this really just training."  Uh-huh.  But seriously, I have watched so many survival shows, I feel like I'd be pretty darn good at it!Funny Encouragement Ecard: You say working out. I say training for the zombie apocalypse.
  • No more financial worries.  I think that might be the #1 thing about my secret desire-- imagining no mortgage, job, bills....  Whatever work you did would be directly related to your survival: you have a garden: you get to eat vegetables; you raise chickens: you get eggs and meat, etc.  Just living for your own family's survival has such appeal.
Now, that being said, I have lived in New Hampshire for 9 years, and during that time I have had the privilege of experiencing not one but THREE week-long power-outages; so I know it would NOT be easy.  Living without electricity and heat is very, very difficult (especially when you go into labor and have to bring a newborn to a home without power).  We have become accustomed to such luxuries in our life that it's hard to imagine not being able to go to the grocery store to obtain provisions for our larder. 


I also know I am not the only one craving simplicity. I just read a news story yesterday about a woman who's "living" in the 1930s (besides the Internet...) and just search "homesteading" on the Internet or Pinterest.  I think Americans are overpowered by their iPhones, computers, big-mortgages, and "Keeping up with the Jones'"-- I think deep down we are just tired of it all: politics, finances, taxes, corporate lifestyles...etc.

Easy Rule #121213- Disconnecting even ONE day a week has made me quite the philosopher---imagine what I could do if there was no pinterest....

Easy Rule #4908- Be like a boy scout: Always Be Prepared. You never know what could happen. Aim for the head.

I'd save Herbie.


2 comments:

  1. You know me, so it should come as no surprise that after viewing The Walking Dead and thinking about the "What If..." something so drastic were to happen, I center in on a lot of the same things you mentioned in this post. I love looking at non-powered tools, outdoors-y gadgets and camping gear and imagine having to use them. It's fortunate that it's not necessary, but I like to think that'd I'd still be ok if I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Preparation is kind of fun and appealing.... as I type on the Internet with the TV on..... :) In theory, we are totally ready!!

      Delete