Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolutions? Eh.

I've never been one for New Year's resolutions.  Although I can't quite put my finger on what I have against them, I'm pretty sure it's because I know myself and that I am incapable of changing bad habits simply because I get a new calendar (note to self: get a new calendar).

Unlike Jules, my willpower is pretty much nonexistent, so if I am to REALLY change my slovenly, lazy, grouchy, etc. ways, it's going to take more than a new year to do it.  I have to be ready.  Willing and able will sometimes follow in "ready's" wake.

For me, being ready is truly a matter of time--basically, waiting for a baby to grow up a bit.  Not only because babes want to be held 99% of their early lives, making things like working out and cooking dinner and using the bathroom virtually impossible, but also because of the inevitable sleep deprivation that comes with baby territory.  There are so many studies about how valuable sleep is to our lives--7 hours in a row is the ideal for ultimate human functioning.  Most moms don't get that for years! For me, the closest I come to that is when the baby is done nursing and I am not yet expecting a new baby--those windows are often few and far between. I happen to be in one now, so it seems like a good time to make a few changes.  With a couple more hours of sleep, my willpower and energy are often (a tiny bit) improved, so perhaps I will find  my efforts rewarded.

Here are my Hopes for Change, in full-disclosure (I find "hope" so much less threatening than "resolution"):

1. In the past 2 weeks I have exercised 9 times! Yay! I just set my DVR for the Denise Austin workout and then prance around when I get the chance.  It's a nice mix of aerobic and toning without being super tiring for an out-of-shape gal like myself.  She keeps talking about how great my butt will look, but that is SO not my goal, it's laughable.  I just want to fit into more of my clothes. Ok, I just want to get out of maternity.

Here I am, after those 9 workouts: .




2.  I am making an effort to be more on top of the daily chores, which often pile up while I watch from the couch. I obviously can't watch from this chair:



Right now I am in the middle of reading some new books I got for Christmas, so as soon as I am done those, I will get right on that laundry. And maybe look up to say hi to my kids.  Oh, and speaking of Christmas, one last shout-out to the holiday that can single-handedly make a house look like this:




3.  Start the day with some alone-time morning prayer and end with some family-time rosary or chaplet action. So far I've been able to do some morning prayer, but I have yet to re-instate family prayer. It's hard to pull everyone together after dinner...they tend to scatter...I will have to make a plan to herd them more efficiently.


4. Last, another common Hope for Change is the universal prayer for peace. No, not world peace (a worthy prayer, nonetheless), but peace in the home. Basically, less shouting, more not shouting.  I'll let you know how that---BE QUIET, CHILDREN!! CAN'T YOU SEE MOMMY IS TRYING TO WRITE A BLOG POST?? GO BICKER SOMEWHERE ELSE!!


Easy Rule #1890:  Only make changes in your life when you are truly ready to give it shot--because circumstances are favorable, not just because the calendar said so.  Otherwise, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment and guilt. You really need to eat those Oreos because you were up nursing a sweet baby most of the night. No judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment