Monday, May 26, 2014

Cooking Contest Part 5- Battle of the Burgers

Jules here-

As you enjoy your Memorial Day celebrations, you may be in the mood to try something new with the standard American burger, and our neighbor hood battle shall not disappoint you.  Saturday night, we had the "Battle of the Burgers" the battle to see who is the "manliest" chef in the neighborhood-- and I am pleased to announce- I AM!

So if you are in the mood for a zippy, relatively hassle-free burger... here it is:

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef (since it was a competition, I used grass-fed, organic beef. It really is better tasting)
Montreal steak-seasoning
Salt & Pepper
Pepper-jack cheese

1/2 Cup sour cream
1/2 Cup mayonnaise
Mrs. Dash Southwest Seasoning blend

Banana peppers
Avocado

Directions:
1. Mix meat with Montreal steak-seasoning and salt & pepper to taste (I like mine quite seasoned).
2. Grill hamburgers until medium rare (or well done if you have no taste buds).  Add slice of pepper-jack cheese until melted.
3. Meanwhile, mix sour cream and mayonnaise with Mrs. Dash Southwest Seasoning blend until pink and smells yummy.
4. Grill the buttered buns until toasted.
5. Serve burgers topped with sliced avocado, banana peppers, and Southwest sauce.
6. Enjoy them!


According to the judges, my beef flavors pushed the burger for the win.  Reviewers said, "A nice, zippy style burger."   Now, Don's burgers were more complicated than mine-- and the judges truly enjoyed them too- just not as much as mine :)  So I present to you:

Ingredients
Ground Beef
Ground Pork
Ground Veal
Yellow Mustard
Worcestershire Sauce
Onions
Bacon
Sauerkraut
Dill Pickles
Muenster Cheese
Kaiser Buns

Hand mix the ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal in a bowl. Add in the Worcestershire Sauce and Yellow Mustard to taste.

Fry Bacon, then use the bacon drippings to saute onions.
Meanwhile, simmer the drained sauerkraut in a German style beer. Don used Yuengling Lager (awesome beer that finally is in New England-- not quite NH yet, but closer...)

Heat grill prior to grilling burgers (about 400 degrees).
Grill burgers turning a ¼ turn after 3-4 minutes. (by turning the burger a ¼ turn, this puts grill mark patterns on the meat).
Flip after 6 minutes.
Add the onions to the top of the burger and top with Muenster Cheese.
Remove burger from grill.
Toast buns on the grill.
Top the burger with bacon (2 strips) pickles (2 sliced pickles), and sauerkraut.
The judges enjoying the feast

There you have it-- two new burger recipes for you to enjoy this Memorial Day.  For the record, John ate two full burgers with all the toppings while Lisa only made it through 1.5 (and she ate the "whole" version of mine--cinching the win!!).  Neighborhood match up so far: Julia: 3 Don: 2 (I have taken the lead...)

And a confession: I really hated both burgers. I know, why would I make something I don't enjoy?-- well I was pleasing the judges. I personally don't like zippy foods that much (I'm too prone to heartburn) and I despise sauerkraut.  So there you have it. Give me a plain turkey burger with some pickles and I would have been happy. 

In closing, here are quotes to celebrate this Memorial Day:

We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.
Francis A. Walker
 
 
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
 

Easy Rule #97870- This memorial day try a new recipe to spice up your grilling life, but also take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of the holiday. Thanks Grandpa Weinig & Grandpa Darnall!



2 comments:

  1. Great...now I have to change my menu to include a Southwest Burger ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed your burger!! Em makes this recipe quite a bit-- but it was my first time and I added the avocado. I love avocado.

      Delete